“Success in School!”
(Study Skills seminar)
‘A learning experience you can’t ignore!’
Weekend seminars/ workshops (2 day courses).
Our upcoming February “Back to School” seminar has been designed specifically for First & Second Year students.
Times: Sat. 22nd Feb.: 10.00a.m. – 3.00p.m.
Sun. 23rd Feb.: 9.00a.m. – 2.00p.m. (to facilitate those who wish to watch the international rugby match).
Also included is an optional, entertaining and informative one hour talk for parents on “Helping Your Child To Succeed!”
Each student receives a booklet summarising the main points covered in the seminar.
All sessions are designed to increase the students’ confidence in their own ability to achieve.
The staff involved in presenting the course are all qualified and experienced school teachers trained in the SES study techniques, and are selected for their ability to motivate and communicate effectively with students. The students’ response sheets make it clear that the skills learnt benefit them greatly with their studies.
Since 1991, students have been implementing our unique, innovative study techniques with very positive results. As you are aware, skills for learning are at the very core of the educational process. We have found that if students learn how to study, their confidence soars and their school results can improve dramatically.
This very successful and fast moving seminar is designed to assist secondary school students to achieve to their full potential, by improving their study and organisational techniques and their motivation to succeed.
The progamme has been constantly revised and improved over the last thirty years by experienced teachers and educational administrators. Continued research ensures that we remain the market leaders in this area of expertise.
No other organisation has been chosen by so many schools and colleges throughout Ireland, to instruct students in learning techniques.
The following topics will be covered in our seminar:
Students begin the course by completing a questionnaire to help identify areas which may be holding them back from achieving to their full potential.
1. Goal Setting: We stress the importance of setting realistic goals. We assist the students in setting their long, intermediate and short term goal charts.
2. Time Management: Students are shown how to construct a workable study/homework timetable to suit their personal needs.
3. Note Taking: By working through our sample exercise sheets, students are taught the basic skills of note taking, thereby saving hours of wasted study time! We will examine different styles of note taking (outline method, spider diagrams, mind mapping, graphic organisers, concept maps).
4. Memory Techniques: Simple ideas to improve one’s capacity to store information. Students love this entertaining but very useful session!
5. Essay Writing: This very popular lesson shows excellent ways of improving one’s writing skills, concentrating on The Narrative Essay.
6. Exam Techniques: We show students how to prepare for and sit their exams and how to construct their revision planners. We point out common pitfalls and explain to them what the examiner is really looking for.
7. The “S.E.S Test” method of studying: Perhaps the most important session of the course! Most students have no idea as to how to study and to retain the information learnt. Their response to this proven and unique method of study, (“SES Test method”), has been remarkable! Students feel confident that by using these methods they can now do really well in school.
For details on our next series of seminars go to:
Dates/ Venues/ Application Form